Welcome to my new blog!

I've been on both sides of the couch and think I can lend something to the conversation about mental health. Telling my own personal experience can, hopefully, give others strength and hope that things can get better. I'll talk about other topics, too, and show what coping skills I use to get myself through, both adaptive and maladaptive.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Understand Inside

I understand inside.  This means several things to me.  I understand pushing your feelings so deep inside that it seems like nobody truly knows the "real" you, even maybe yourself.  I understand being inside the proverbial closet: about my sexuality, about my mental health diagnosis', about a lot of things.  I understand being inside of myself, screaming on the inside, "I'm here!  Can't you see me?" and watching people walk away because they can't.  I haven't let them.  I understand being inside the mind of a child who was abused and re-experiencing the traumas that the mind can only repress for so long.  I understand being inside a hospital  (private, public, and/or state) against your personal will because depression and anxiety has taken over your mind, convincing you that you are not worthy of love or life.   I understand looking out the windows at visitors who come and go, their feet crunching in the snow and then, drive out of sight, leaving you to color with broken crayons and write with golf pencils.  I understand referring to the hospital as, "The Inside" and away from the hospital as, "The Outside," as if it the world is so black and white.  Unfortunately, some of us are on "The Inside" even when we're not in the hospital - after all, wherever you go, there you are!  I, like many, have erected my own self-imposed walls that keep others out and myself in, clawing at the walls and hoping for a bulldozer to knock it right down and, yet, fearing the demolition at the same time.  These walls I have for myself are what we've all built, some more than others, to protect us from our feelings.  Keeping people out keeps us in, too, and protects us from all of the potential good feelings! 

My goals in writing this blog are the following: to lend a voice to the voiceless and help others to see that they are not alone, to get some writing experience and exposure because I want to write a memoir and be published (and be on Oprah's book club, but that's not the point), and to use this as a place to write down my thoughts, opinions, theories, and so forth.  I'd like it to be a conversation, so please feel free to comment! :)

2 comments:

  1. My dear, I feel you 100%!!! It's always a brave thing to actually "share" what goes on "inside." I think that's why we're always drawn to this field - the journey of helping others actually helps us to help ourselves. I always say - never trust a therapist who has never been in therapy themselves - how the hell could they "know" what if feels like to be in your shoes?! I'm looking forward to reading your blog. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, this is very insightful and I understand to the fullest of my ability without trying to process my thoughts to much into the negative side. When I was younger (what I could or can remember of it) I remember I used to hide in my bedroom, away from the world, away from people and consume myself into books of various kinds. However, as I grow up and saw that they was a world around me full of knowledge I decided to pull myself out and decided to learn. Which is excellently what you have done. Kudos to you and I will continue to have an open mind and read your blogs! Because some of the things that you have stated to me, make complete sense to me! I look forward to reading your post and seeing your educated insides! Thank you for inviting me to share your thoughts! You ROCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete